MP not responding to HTTP requests

Installing a new device recently I noticed that it was reporting as Client = No. The ccmsetup had completed successfully so time to check on what the root cause was.

A quick check of the site status within the console confirmed that there were problems. Ugly red crosses next to my Management Point and Application Catalog roles. We do not like to see red crosses!

Checking the messages on the management point role I could see the following errors repeated.

‘SMP Control Manager detected SMP is not responding to HTTP requests. The http error is 12029’


‘MP Control Manager detected MP is not responding to HTTP requests. The http error is 12029.’


The suggested fix from each error was to restart the SMS Host and W3SVC services. On doing this the problem persisted.

You can issue the following URL in a browser to check the Management Point list for the site.


When doing this on the MP I received a ‘Page not found’. Something was not right with IIS.

Checking IIS I noticed that the default web site was not running. If I attempted to start the default website I received an error.


A quick scan of the site bindings (right click the default web site and choose edit bindings) confirmed that there were two entries for https (443) connections.


Removing the offending https entry then allowed me to start up the default web site. Within no time the MP is healthy and serving policy to my client.


  1. this very issue held me up in my lab for 2 days

    The more I look at this under the covers and the recent subtle changes in MP connectivity the more I realize things have changed her a lot more than actually meets the eye.

  2. This started happening after I uninstalled WSUS. Your description looked to be the exact issue that I’m having, up until the very last screenshot: I only have one entry for http. ,mpsetup.log shows that the mp installation was successful, while mpMSI.log shows a wealth of errors that I can hardly start to troubleshoot.

  3. I have the same issue after update to latest hotfix. Fixes issues explained in KB4086143 However the bindings are the same as before the update and I think my issue it more webconfig or the server needs a reboot after changes have been applied.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s