This blog post really is a note to self.
I started the SCCMentor blog over five years ago to store all those weird and wonderful issues that I would come across and battle on a day to day basis. A place to refer back to if the problem cropped up again.
Over the years the blog has morphed and become more than that, but every now and then I like to add in a little snippet that will help others with that battle.
I wish I had added this one earlier, since I came up with the problem on customer site the other day, and I knew I had seen it before but just couldn’t remember the fix.
Luckily I had answered a forum post a few months before. So, I thought it was time to jot this one down and promote, in case I encounter it again in the near future.
The symptoms are that a Windows 10 build completes and then gets stuck in a loop, displaying the message Why did my PC restart?. You are presented with a Next button and after clicking it comes back to the same error.
The problem occurs due to the following group policy being set and impacts Windows 10 1703 and above.
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App runtime\Block launching Windows Store apps with Windows Runtime API access from hosted content.
You should set the Enabled policy to Not Configured as a workaround.
Microsoft recently posted a support article on the problem Event 5963 and a “Block launching Windows Store apps with Windows Runtime API access from hosted content” error prevents an OOBE deployment in Windows 10 and it looks like the issue will be addressed with future releases of Win 10.
For reference, here is the TechNet forum post I answered, which steered me towards fixing the problem on the day. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec73768f-e11f-463e-93be-8dae88a1484b/issues-while-deployment-of-windows-10-1803
** Thanks to Niall Brady at www.windows-noob.com for use of the Why Did My PC Restart? image. **
Paul, allow me to add my own note so that when Google brings me back here in a year I remember as well. I had the same problem but group policy wasn’t the problem. The devices in question weren’t even joined to the domain. However, I had created an custom unattend to enable the HideWirelessSetupInOOBE setting. Subsequently I started having a very high percentage of devices give this same error.
The solution has appears to be to also enable the other options, even the deprecated ones:
This for this addition Bryan. I try to avoid adding in the deprecated settings where possible. Seems like , in this instance, that you have no choice.
Thank you, Bryan for posting this info. Two years later and I ran into the same issue with win10 2004 and these other entries were needed for me to get past OOBE.
I have the same issue in MDT, but it happens right after the apply OS (not joined to the domain so there’s no GP yet). It turns out it didn’t like the latest cumulative update MSU package from MS update catalog. Not sure why… still investigating.
I hit this recently with 1809 and 1903. However, this reg key was not being set anywhere, so that wasn’t the problem.
Eventually, after a very long a tedious group policy stripping process, the issue turned out to be the “dmwappushservice” being set to Disabled. Returning this to Not Configured and freshly building devices instantly resolved the issue.
Cheers for adding this Rich