As ConfigMgr admins, we are used to this pesky message appearing in the mpcontrol.log and there are many blogs out there, including mine, that give you some tips on how to resolve the problem.

This time I had just removed the WSUS role from the ConfigMgr site server a few hours earlier and then noticed this error in the mpcontrol.log.

Call to HttpSendRequestSync failed for port 80 with status code 500, text: Internal Server Error

I ran the MPLIST command, http://<MPServername>/SMS_MP/.sms_aut?MPLIST, in a browser and received the following:

2017-06-28 00_35_04-IIS 8.5 Detailed Error - 500.19 - Internal Server Error.jpg

A quick Google on the error message, 0x8007007e, and I was led to the following MSDN blog on troubleshooting HTTP 500.19 Errors in IIS 7.

Error Code 0x8007007e is: ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND – The specified module could not be found.

So my applicationhost.config or web.config file referenced a module that no longer existed after the WSUS removal. The error in the screenshot mentions the  DynamicCompressionModule module.

I checked the applicationhost.config, located in C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config and, indeed, the module details were still in there:

<scheme name=”xpress” doStaticCompression=”false” doDynamicCompression=”true”
dll=”C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\suscomp.dll” staticCompressionLevel=”10″
dynamicCompressionLevel=”0″ />

2017-06-28 00_52_32-applicationHost.config - Notepad.jpg

The fix is to run the following command:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpCompression /-[name=’xpress’]

I recommend that you back up the config file prior to executing the command.

Once the command was run, the MP sprang back into life.

 

 

 

Advertisements